Tornado & Thunderstorm Procedures
A tornado or thunderstorm WATCH means you should be prepared to take cover if threatening conditions are sighted. A tornado or thunderstorm WARNING is issued by your local National Weather Service facility, and means a tornado or severe thunderstorm is imminent. Persons close to the storm should take shelter immediately, and remain there until the danger has passed.
Under a WARNING individuals should seek shelter in building interiors such as hallways, restrooms, interior classrooms and to AVOID windows, doors and large open areas such as gymnasiums and auditoriums.
Shelter areas are marked with Tornado Shelter signage:
When the tornado warning alarm is made, go immediately to the designated shelter. Do not go outside. If you are outside when the announcement is made, you need to seek shelter in the nearest available building.
If the storm has already hit the college and you cannot make it to a designated shelter, take cover in a classroom or office away from the outside walls. Try to take cover under any heavy furniture near an inside wall or inside a closet. Assume a curled position to protect your head and eyes. Stay away from glass windows and doors.
Remain in the designated shelter until the "all clear" message is broadcast once the emergency is over.
Individuals should seek shelter in building interiors such as hallways, restrooms, interior classrooms and AVOID windows, doors and large open areas such as gymnasiums and auditoriums.
- Main Campus: Move to interior classrooms, hallways, restrooms & small offices.
- Farm: Move to Swine Breeding & Gestation barn. If in open area, take cover in an open ditch or ravine.
- Children's Center: Move to restrooms.
- Farm Equipment/Welding Building: Move to restrooms & small rooms.
- Allied Health Building: Move to basement or restrooms.
- Special Needs Building: Move to restrooms or basement.
- Student Housing / Special Needs Housing: Evacuate upper floor and go to lower level interior hallways/restrooms. Lower floor move to restroom areas within rooms.
- Wellness Center: Move to locker rooms, offices, interior classrooms and restrooms.
- Technology Education Center: Evacuate upper floor. Move into first floor restrooms, offices and small rooms.
- Main Campus: Move to interior classrooms, hallways, restrooms and small offices.
- Career Option Bldg: Evacuate top floor immediately - go to first floor interior classrooms, hallways and locker rooms.
- Laker I (Housing): Evacuate upper floor and go to lower level restrooms.
- Four Plex (Housing): Move to restrooms.
- Laker II (Housing): Move to lower level basement or restrooms.
- Criminal Justice Center: Move to restrooms and small office rooms.
- Christensen Building: Move to restrooms.
- Wind Turbine & Turbine Tech Building: Move to restrooms and small offices.
- Aviation Building: Move to northeast office.
- Print Shop: Take shelter in restroom or behind counters. If weather permits, move to main building hallways.
- Central Administration Building: Move to basement.
- Algona Campus: Short hallway, restrooms, room 10 & small offices.
- Spencer Campus: Lower level, restrooms, hallways & small office areas.
- Spirit Lake Campus: Hallways, restrooms, & small offices.