History

The Iowa Department of Education officially recognized Iowa Lakes Community College on October 28 of 1966. Following its recognition, Iowa Lakes was organized when the first board of directors met in January of 1967 to plan for its organization and development.

Legislation passed by the Iowa legislature established Merged Area III as a part of a statewide initiative. The Merged Area III included all or parts of Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, and Palo Alto counties and encompassed 26 community school districts and two parochial school systems.

historical iowa lakes
Historical of Iowa Lakes
History at Iowa Lakes
1966 - Iowa Lakes recognized by Iowa Department of Education

The Iowa Department of Education officially recognized Iowa Lakes Community College on October 28, 1966.

1967 - Board of Directors begins planning

The college was organized in January of 1967 when the first board of directors met to begin planning for the college's organization and development. Legislation passed by the Iowa legislature established Merged Area III as a part of a statewide plan. This area included all or parts of Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, and Palo Alto counties and encompassed 26 community school districts and two parochial school systems.

1968 - Merging Estherville Junior College with Iowa Lakes

In 1968, the Iowa Lakes Board approved the Estherville Junior College merger and its facilities into the new district. Estherville Public Schools operated the college since its founding in 1924.

1970 - Emmetsburg Junior College & Iowa Lakes

In 1970, the Emmetsburg Junior College joined with Iowa Lakes, which gave Iowa Lakes two primary campuses. The Emmetsburg Junior college operated under Emmetsburg Public Schools since 1930. 

1972 - Estherville Campus Facilities

In 1972, the Estherville Campus facilities were constructed to serve liberal arts and vocational-technical programming.

Mid- 1970s - Iowa Lakes Spencer Campus

The Spencer Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College became operational during the mid-1970s. 

1983 - Instructional Television System Introduced at Iowa Lakes

Iowa Lakes began offering courses through an instructional television system. The system used two channels at six sites and offered four courses. 

1984 - Spirit Lake Campus Opens

The Spirit Lake Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College became operational in 1984.

1986 - Algona Campus Established

In 1986, Iowa Lakes purchased a location for the Algona Campus. 

1995 - Spirit Lake Campus Moved to New Facilities

The Spirit Lake Campus moved to new facilities at its current location.