Are you searching for a career that you can be passionate about?
The Iowa Lakes Professional Dog Grooming Program provides students with a well-rounded, hands-on, and inspiring dog grooming education.
Students will receive the best dog grooming training available in the industry with hands-on courses that focus on grooming services theory, client communication, retail performance, presentation skills, creative expression, and business fundamentals.
Additionally, dog grooming students will complete a business fundamentals course. Creating a business plan is the capstone and may be used to build the foundation of your new dog grooming business.
Upon successful completion of our program, students will have the opportunity to start a career in one of the following areas: grooming salons, mobile grooming, veterinarian clinics, boarding kennels, professional bathers, pet shops, animal shelters, pet supply stores, show dog assistants, or starting a business of your own.
- Dog grooming basics, equipment & animal handling
- Learn to bath, set, & dry dog coat properly
- Study the Theory of 5
- Shop safety & sanitation
- Identify different parasites in the grooming industry
- Clipper & scissor techniques, Breed groups, patterns, and industry terminology & Geometrics
- Canine anatomy, skin & coat care and issues
- Groom various breeds in the salon as skills are mastered
- Focus on sanitation, scheduling & customer service
- Finishing techniques to complete the professional groom
- Learn the life cycle of the flea
- Identify skin issues & strategies
- Master various breed characteristics
- Experience in business practices & customer service
- Understand the fundamentals of business
- Explore business structure, marketing strategies, finance, human resource management, accounting, etc.
- Students will complete a business plan
8 Week Program
October 25, 2021
January 10, 2022
March 21, 2022
May 30, 2022
August 8, 2022