(Spirit Lake, Iowa) The Iowa Lakes Board of Trustees met Tuesday afternoon on the Spirit Lake Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College.
Robert Leifeld, Vice President of Administration, kicked off Tuesday’s meeting by presenting the list of spring graduates to the Iowa Lakes Board, which was approved. Leifeld then introduced Mary Faber, Spirit Lake Campus Supervisor, who shared an update on the operations of the Spirit Lake Campus.
“The Spirit Lake Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College provides exceptional support for students through our Success Center, whether that support is for academics or the use of technology,” said Faber.
Julie Williams, Executive Dean of Students, provided the Iowa Lakes report on the 2020-21 Laker Athletics seasons. Iowa Lakes Community College is the home to 15 National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) men’s and women’s sports teams who compete in the Iowa Community College Athletic Conference (ICCAC).
Williams shared, “As we all know, this past year has presented a unique set of challenges not only for academics and student life but also in our Athletics Department. Some of these challenges included determining mitigation strategies and established COVID-19 protocols following guidance as provided by the CDC, NJCAA, ICCAC, and our local Public Health Departments.”
Iowa Lakes established protocols, including pod-style student workout regimens, daily temperature checks, health questionnaires, and special distancing and mask requirements.
Williams shared, “Each of our Laker Athletic teams were able to compete throughout each of their seasons successfully. We did not have to cancel one event due to coronavirus activity on our campuses, and this can be directly attributed to the protocols in place for our Athletic teams,” said Williams.
Despite COVID, the Laker Athletics Department preserved bringing home many individual, team, and coach recognitions for outstanding performances, including Katie King, ICCAC Softball Coach of the Year, Cody Alesch, NJCAA Wrestling Man of the Year, and Troy Larson, District Coach of the Year and 300th Career Win.
A public hearing was held for the proposed sale of the Iowa Lakes property located at 1308 Main Street in Emmetsburg, Iowa. Delaine Hiney, Executive Director of Facilities Management, was granted board approval to accept and to sell the property to the high bid submitted by Eric Woodford.
Hiney also provided updates regarding the HVAC Unit Replacement project on the Estherville Campus, the Iowa Lakes College Farm Lab, and the Chava Wind Turbine.
The Trustees approved to set in-state tuition at $191 per credit hour, with Minnesota residents paying $196 per credit hour. Online course fees will be $200 per credit hour, while non-residents and international students will pay $202 per credit hour.
The next meeting of the Iowa Lakes Community College Board of Trustees will be held on Tuesday, June 18, 2021, at the Spencer Campus, 1900 Grand Ave, Spencer, Iowa.
For additional information, contact the Iowa Lakes Marketing Office at 712.362.7947.
Full List of Athletic Awards from the 2020-21 Season
- Men finished the season at Region XI Championships – placing 7th.
- Women finished 2nd at Region XI championships.
- Four players qualified for Nationals: Isabella Santistevan, Abby Gaudian, Kelly Winter, and Gretchen Hofstad.
- ICCAC All-Region Honors
- Isabella Santistevan – 1st Team
- Abby Gaudian & Kelly Winter – 2nd Team
- Gretchen Hofstad – Honorable Mention
- National Tournament – May 10-13 in Florida – competed as a team and individuals with the four listed above. The team finished in 17th place.
- 2-9 overall
- Lost in the regional tournament on May 16 at Iowa Western 3-0.
- Ranked 9th in NJCAA DI.
- 9-3 overall – 2nd seed in the regional tournament.
- Numerous ICCAC and National Player of the weeks (Dion Zhubi, Taariq Ganga, David Owusu, Leonardo Seixas, and Raz Levy)
- Region XI Tournament – May 15 – beat Marshalltown 1-0 in semifinals. Lost in the Championship 3-0 to Iowa Western.
- District Playoffs – May 22-24 – Already qualified – either play at Iowa Western or host.
- National Tournament – June 3-8
- 24-22 overall, 6th in ICCAC overall, and 4th among DII
- National Player of the Week – Lexi Chase
- ICCAC Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week – Lexi Chase multiple times
- Regional Tournament – May 8-10 – Lost to DMACC in 10 innings in the regional championship game.
- 6-48 overall
- Lost to Kirkwood in the first round of Regional Tournament.
- Finished 16th as a team at NJCAA national tournament.
- Massoma Endene – All-American at 174lbs, finishing 7th.
- Mitchell Williamson – NATIONAL CHAMPION at 285lbs
- Finished 3rd in NJCAA DII.
- First National Tournament appearance since 2013.
- 21-8 record (29 games = most games played in the country), 4th in ICCAC overall, and 2nd among DII schools
- Regional Champions
- Regional All-Tournament Team
- Ryan Hall – MVP
- Xzavier Jones
- Dillon Carlson
- Kevin Cook – National Tournament All-Tournament Team
- Xzavier Jones – 1st Team All-American
- ICCAC All-Region Honors
- Xzavier Jones – 1st Team
- Dillon Carlson & Kevin Cook – 2nd Team
- Ryan Hall & Caleb Johnson – Honorable Mention
- Coach Larson 300th Career Win as Iowa Lakes Head Coach
Swimming & Diving
- Men finished 6th, women 9th at NJCAA National Swim Meet.
- Erik Graff broke the school record for 50-yard breaststroke.
- 12 top-10 finishes
- Finished 7th at 2021 Collegiate Championships. Finished 5th among ICCAC schools.