Keep us updated as you sail away to new opportunities!
The Iowa Lakes Community College Alumni & Friends Association was established in 1989 to create a vibrant and robust network of individuals through which the Association maintains and promotes loyalty to Iowa Lakes Community College.
MEMBERSHIP & MENTORING
Keep in touch with Iowa Lakes. Join the Iowa Lakes Alumni & Friends Association.
An annual gift secures your membership, supports the Alumni & Friends Scholarships and Jim Hall Outstanding Alumni Award presentation.
Membership benefits include:
- 15% discount coupon redeemable at either the Iowa Lakes Campus Store on the Emmetsburg and Estherville campuses
- Name and giving level displayed at each campus
- Memberships are posted at the end of October each year
ALUMNI & FRIENDS MEMBERSHIP GIVING LEVELS
ADMIRAL $250 +
CAPTAIN $100 - $249
FIRST MATE $50 - $99
SAILOR $25 - $49
DECKHAND $10 - $24
The Iowa Lakes Community College Alumni and Student Mentoring Program provide an excellent opportunity for current Iowa Lakes Students and Alumni to enhance career development through formalized mentoring relationships.
The program provides a forum where knowledge, skills, and experience are shared to foster professional growth and development with industry leaders.
- Mentors are paired with current Iowa Lakes students and are encouraged to work together to determine mentorship goals, when, where, and how often to meet, and the best way to communicate with each other.
- Mentor and mentee pairs are invited to organized activities such as a program kick-off and a celebration event after program completion.
- All participants complete a post-program survey to help continuously improve the program.
- Attend Mentorship Program kick-off, training(s), and celebration
- Meet with mentor monthly
- Develop goals and objectives for the relationship
- Own and be active in the mentoring relationship
- Set individual meeting objectives
- Accept and give honest feedback
- Take an active role in own learning and development
- Follow through on commitments or re-negotiate appropriately
- Provide feedback about the program to mentoring committee
- Attend Mentorship Program kick-off
- Advocate for Iowa Lakes and support Iowa Lakes values
- Exhibit strong leadership and/or technical skills
- Have credibility in their respective organization or industry
- Have availability and time to devote to the mentorship relationship
- Offer advance notice for rescheduling or cancellation
- Maintain confidentiality
- Assist in developing objectives for the program
- Provide honest and professional feedback
- Follow through on commitments
- Evaluate frequently to ensure effectiveness
- Provide feedback
SCHOLARSHIPS & AWARDS
The Alumni and Friends Association awards a scholarship to two deserving Iowa Lakes students annually, who are returning alumni or dependents of an Iowa Lakes alumni.
These scholarships are possible thanks to generous donations from Iowa Lakes Alumni & Friends Association members.
QUESTIONS ABOUT SCHOLARSHIPS?
Contact the Iowa Lakes Foundations Office at 712-362-0427 or 800-242-5106 ext. 4427.
The Jim Hall Outstanding Alumni Award was established in 1992 by the Iowa Lakes Alumni & Friends Association. Jim attended the Estherville School District graduating from high school in 1966. After graduating from Iowa Lakes Community College in 1968, he attended the University of Wyoming for one year and graduated from Mankato State University in 1972.
Jim married Sylvia Groenewold, and together, they owned and operated Hall’s Decorating in Estherville. Jim was a strong supporter of Iowa Lakes Community College, serving as an assistant football coach and an active Century Club member for many years.
This award is presented annually at the Spring Commencement Ceremony to Iowa Lakes Alumni, who are excellent representatives of the college exhibiting outstanding support of the community, business, and/or service clubs.
Nominations for the 2020 Jim Hall Outstanding Alumni Award must be received by March 15, 2021.
2019 - Michael Martens, Emmet County Sheriff, Estherville, IA
2018 - Dan Jorgensen, Mayor, Ringsted, IA
2017 - Doug Burton, First Christian Church, Estherville, IA
2016 - Diane (Twait) Nelson, Lakeland AEA, Ringsted, IA
2015 - James Donovan, Mentor, Adult and Teen Challenge and driver, Interfaith Hospitality Network, Baxter, MN
2014 - Kathy Preston, Emmet County Public Health, Ringsted, IA
2013 - Larry Sundall, Alumni Vice-President, Estherville, IA
2012 - Robert (Rob) Jacobs, General Manager, Cooperative Elevator Association, Hartley, IA
2012 - John Wittneben, Owner, Wittneben Land Surveying, Estherville, IA
2011 - Erika Tonsfeldt Volker, Director, Partnerships for Innovation, Papillion, NE
2010 - Bridget Breen, Director of News & Operations at KTIV-TV, Sioux City, IA
2010 - Darin Moeller, Estherville Campus Executive Dean at Iowa Lakes Community College, Estherville, IA
2009 - Rick Olesen, Vice President of Operations & Engineering at Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative, Estherville, IA
2008 - Merwyn C. (M.C.) Gill, Company Founder, Pasadena, CA
2007 - Dana Holland, Health Administrator, Good Samaritan Society, Ottumwa, IA
2006 - Linda Heldt, Iowa Lakes Office Associate, Estherville, IA
2005 - Bruce Hertzke, CEO, Winnebago, Forest City, IA
2004 - Alan Blum, Business Owner, Estherville, IA
2003 - Greg Stevens, State Representative, Milford, IA
2002 - Dr. L.T. Donovan, Orthopedic Surgeon, Minneapolis, MN
2001 - Ronald Smith, Farmer, County Supervisor, Dolliver, IA
2000 - Dean Luchtel, Business Owner, Milford, IA
1999 - Marcie Frevert, State Representative, Emmetsburg, IA
1998 - Jack Tatman, Farmer, Board of Trustees, Spirit Lake, IA
1997 - Marian Brunsvold, Alumni President, Spirit Lake, IA
1996 - Pat Hall, Iowa Lakes Instructor, Estherville, IA
1995 - Herman Richter, Retailer, The Three Sons, Milford, IA
1994 - Dr. Judy Reinking, Podiatrist, Algona, IA
1993 - John S. Walz, ECHO, Estherville, IA
1992 - Bob Grems, Iowa Lakes Athletic Director, Estherville, IA
The John P "Jack" Kibbie Outstanding Service Award honors Senator Jack Kibbie's significant role on Iowa's Community Colleges and Iowa Lakes in particular.
The John P "Jack" Kibbie Outstanding Service Award is the most prestigious award given to Iowa Lakes students. Each academic Iowa Lakes acknowledges up to three graduating students for their leadership and contributions to the community and/ or college service above and beyond the typical student.
Students are nominated by the faculty and staff of Iowa Lakes Community College. Once all nominations are received, a selection committee, comprised of Iowa Lakes Board Members and designees, select the students who "best exemplify the spirit of service to community and Iowa Lakes Community College."
Iowa Lakes recognizes these outstanding deserving with a special commendation during an awards ceremony and reception before the Commencement Ceremony.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership and service to community and/or Iowa Lakes Community College.
- Currently enrolled students at Iowa Lakes.
- Completed 45 or more credit hours (sophomore standing) by the end of the fall term.
NOMINATE A STUDENT
Any employee may nominate qualified students for the Jack P. Kibbie Outstanding Service Award. Nominations may be submitted online using the link to the left. Nominations are due March 30.
19 S 7th Street
Estherville, IA 51334
Fax: 712 362-0480
Follow Alumni & Foundations on social media: