(Estherville, Iowa) Eight Iowa Lakes students have achieved All Iowa Academic Team status for the Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society, which recognizes outstanding academic achievement, intellectual rigor, leadership, and civic growth.
Southeastern Community College hosted the 2020 All-Iowa Academic Team Celebration at the Embassy Suites in Des Moines on March 2. Iowa Lakes Students honored are Kristine Schultz, Julien Paraud, Juliana Villa-Rodriguez, Alison Laubenthal, Jada Duis, Brooklyn Mickelson, Cassidy Trenary, and Brooklynn Erickson. The keynote speaker was Joe Mitchell, Iowa State Representative for District #84.
Students recognized from Iowa Lakes Community College include:
- Kristine Schultz, an Associate of Arts and Sciences student who attends the Spencer Campus of Iowa Lakes. Her accomplishments include Phi Theta Kappa All –Iowa Academic Team, Presidents List, and Presidential Honors Program.
- Julien Paraud, a General Studies major on the Spencer campus. Parauds honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, graduation from Iowa Lakes Community College, and soccer athlete.
- Juliana Villa-Rodriguez, a Liberal Arts and General Studies Transfer student on Emmetsburg Campus. Her honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Presidential Honor’s List, Presidential Scholar, and Honors Program.
- Alison Laubenthal, an Emmetsburg Associate of Science major, honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team and Presidential Honors Scholarship. She is transferring to Palmer College of Chiropractic.
- Jada Duis, a Music student, who attends the Estherville campus. Her honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Presidential Scholar, President of Iowa lakes Student Senate, President of Instrumental Ensembles, and a participant in The Carnegie Hall Great Christmas Ring in New York.
- Brooklyn Mickelson, a Biology major on the Estherville campus. She is a member of the Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Presidential Scholar, Dean’s Honors List-summa cum laude, first team Iowa Community College Athletic Conference Academic All-Region Team, and TRIO-SSS tutor. Mickelson plans to transfer to Florida Gulf Coast University.
- Cassidy Trenary, an Actuarial Science student at the Algona campus, honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, math tutor, Student Ambassador, and Presidential Honor’s List. Trenary’s plans for the future include transferring to the University of Northern Iowa.
- Brooklynn Erickson, a Music student at the Spirit Lake campus. Her honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Dean’s List, a participant in the Great Christmas Ring at Carnegie Hall in New York, Presidential Scholar, and Phi Theta Kappa Member. Erickson plans to transfer to South Dakota State University.
PTK is the world’s largest and most prestigious honor society for two-year college students. The highest academic achievers in the state’s 15 community college system are recognized in a ceremony every year. The 2020 All-Iowa Academic Team named 76 students to the team this year.
Students awarded this honor have opportunities to qualify for additional scholarships at their transfer institutions.
Six of the eight Iowa Lakes Community College students, Iowa Lakes Community College President Valerie Newhouse, and Phi Theta Kappa Advisor Joe Steele attended the event.
For More Information:
Professor and Phi Theta Kappa Advisor Joe Steele at 712-852-5327 or firstname.lastname@example.org new email