7 Iowa Lakes Students Earn All Iowa Academic Team Honors
(Estherville, Iowa) Seven Iowa Lakes Community College students have achieved All Iowa Academic Team status for the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, which recognizes outstanding academic achievement.
These students were honored at a banquet hosted by Hawkeye Community College at the Embassy Suites in Des Moines on March 4. Keynote speaker was Quentin Hart, Mayor of the City of Waterloo.
Students recognized from Iowa Lakes Community College included:
- Samantha Hagedorn, a pre-med transfer student from Bancroft, Iowa and attends the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes. Her accomplishments include Phi Theta Kappa All –Iowa Academic Team, First Team Academic All-Region (2018–2019), dean’s honors list and she is a member of the Laker Women’s Basketball team.
- Madison Wessels, an accounting transfer major from Belmond, who the Algona campus. Madison’s honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Beta Eta Zeta chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, dean’s list Fall 2017 and president’s List Spring 2018. She plans on transferring to the University of Northern Iowa.
- Gabriela Reis, a liberal arts transfer student from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Gabriela is a member of the Laker Women’s Swimming and Diving team. Her honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Presidential Honor’s List, Presidential Scholar, College Swimming and Diving Scholar All-American Team, Scholar All-American Team Honor. She attends the Emmetsburg campus.
- Courtney Wurzer, Emmetsburg campus liberal arts transfer major. Her honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, dean’s list, and the president’s honors list. She is transferring to the University of Northern Iowa.
- Isidro Pena, a liberal arts transfer student, who attends the Estherville campus. His honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, Phi Theta Kappa Beta Eta Zeta Chapter.
- Jordan Thompson, a liberal arts transfer major from Graettinger, Iowa and attends the Spencer campus of Iowa Lakes. He is a member of the Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team. He plans to transfer to the University of Northern Iowa.
- Riley White, an Environmental Studies student at the Estherville campus. His honors include Phi Theta Kappa All-Iowa Academic Team, dean’s list and Presidential Honor student 2017 and 2018.
Students awarded this honor have opportunities to qualify for additional scholarships at their transfer institutions.
Others attending the dinner from Iowa Lakes included college President Valerie Newhouse, Professor and Phi Theta Kappa Advisor Joe Steele, and Iowa Lakes Board President Jan Lund.
For More Information:
Marketing Office of Iowa Lakes at 712-362-7947